31 Oct 2013

Let the (dreaded) 30 day shred begin!

At the beginning of 2012 something weird happened to me and I started to enjoy exercising. It started off slowly with frequent long walks and similar things that were already familiar to me. A couple of months later I did things I never thought I would do, did exercise videos on a regular basis and started jogging and then running.

At the end of the summer I managed to get my first every sports injury when I injured my knee (ITBS, Iliotibial band syndrome). That took away some of my enthusiasm since I really loved running and started to get faster and run further.

When one door closes another one opens and I started going to yoga and fitness pilates class. During the winter the knee got better and I went to all kinds of fitness classes and enjoyed trying new things. In the spring I started running again and everything seemed great.

Until I again got ITBS at the end of June. After that I pretty much lost the brightest fitness spark. Things got even worse in the fall when I ended up getting cold after cold and couldn't do anything fitness related without getting ill again.

Now I've been well for a couple of weeks and am starting to find my way back again. Fingers crossed and knock on wood that it'll be fine now health wise!

I'm going to do a  pretty intense but still quite soft start to get back in shape by doing one the exercise programs by Jillian Michaels, my favourite TV personal trainer. I really like her style! (I'd probably be crying all the time if she were my personal trainer! I'm so sensitive...) I've done the program once before so I know it works well and you see progress in both strength and endurance quite fast. I'm of course talking about the wildly popular 30 Day Shred.
 

I just finished doing the first day of level 1. I'm luckily no way near as beat as I was when I did it the first time ever last year. I used 2 kg dumbbells and did soon realise I'm unfortunately not in shape to finish the whole thing without taking short breaks in the strength portions of the program. After a couple of days it'll hopefully go better. And I know it will, it has before.

The great thing about the 30 Day Shred is that you work both strength and cardio. The program is quite intense and you feel you get a decent workout even though it's just about 25 minutes long with(!) warmup and cooldown. And you don't need anything else than a pair of dumbbells and a mat.

In about 30 days time I will feel more powerful and in better shape! Well at least I hope so, but in case I get a set back again I'll try not to let it get me down this time and just remember it's certainly not the end of the world if it takes me more than 30 days to do the program. I might also start mixing it with some other of her programs since I have several of her dvds.

Feels good to be going in the right direction again!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. High five!! Soon time for day two! My muscles don't feel very sore so definitely in better shape than last time I started shredding even though I'm not in good shape at the moment. I wish I'll be able to start running for real in the spring (now it's getting a bit too cold for me). It's so cool to follow your progress! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...